Tuesday, March 31, 2015

A Simple Prayer

Since Samuel's Chiari diagnosis, we have been asked quite often about how he is doing, and we cannot thank you enough for that. We were never carrying the burden alone, but once we shared the news, your prayers, texts, and support have meant so much to our family. We know that God has blessed us with a large "family" that trusts in His power to provide strength and grace.

We are still waiting to hear on when Samuel will see an opthamologist and a neurologist.  Until then and for five more weeks, I am logging his symptoms.  As of yet, there aren't any new ones.  His headaches do seem to occur less often, but when they happen, we aren't able to control them that well with ibuprofen or tylenol.  He has trouble falling asleep and wakes some.  

Headaches really bother Samuel.  It's the other symptoms that are hard for me.  They vary and are difficult to explain to him.  I really have had to rest in prayer and scripture and find such comfort in Proverbs 3:5 and Zephaniah 3:17.  Samuel and I repeat them back and forth to each other.  I pray outloud over him so he hears what I am asking God to do for him.  There's such peace in knowing God cares for us.

I will be honest though.  There are nights when he is hurting, we are tired, and rest isn't coming.  Frustration kicks in once pain doesn't reside.  He gets tears in his eyes and I in mine.  It's in those times that I cry out to Jesus. 

Tonight, I heard my sweet boy pray to Jesus for HIMSELF.  Samuel always thinks to pray for others.  He wasn't crying, but he was asking God to help him in a simple, yet profound way.  I, as Mommy, don't want to forget this moment, because Samuel was hurting, but instead of turning to me or to medicine, he realized WHO to turn to for help.

God, thank You for our church family and for Addy, Brooke, Bryce, Grayson, and Michael.  Oh, and Brother David.  Help me to feel better when You can.  Thank you for Jessica, Mimi, and Grandpa.  For Mommy and Daddy being married for 8 days, no, she said 8 years.  For this beautiful day so we could go to the park. 
In Jesus' name, Amen

God, remind me to call on You and trust that You will answer when You can.

3 comments:

Lynda said...

Brian and Jenna, thank you so much for the update on Samuel. Kim calls and keeps me updated...but it's good to hear how these six weeks go. We love you guys and will continue to keep you and your family in our prayers. Gayle and Lynda

Unknown said...

Thank you for the update. I am praying for you all every night and morning. God has a plan and God is Good. You have many prayer warriors out there. I know you feel so helpless at times but you are doing such great things for them by teaching them who to turn to in times of need. If you need anything please don't hesitate to call.
Sherri (Brett's Mom)

Adrian said...

What a perfect, precious prayer. The Lord has BIG plans for that sweet boy :). I'm just now catching up on your blog and had no idea of the health struggle you were facing with Samuel. Praying now for God to miraculously touch his body and bring healing and for daily wisdom, grace, and peace.