Sunday, January 29, 2006

So They Say That Honesty Is The Best Policy

Well, to be completely honest, I've felt like keeping to myself lately. My life seems to be changing, for the better, as I get one step closer to graduation each day.

Student Teaching has been amazing thus far, and I know that I have made the right decision in following God's will for my major. I love the children I work with, and every day is a new experience... one I had never imagined before. Nerves and impatience don't exactly exist when I'm with these twenty-one precious second graders, and I can't tell you how wonderful it feels to have at least one area in your life where you don't have to feel nervous or be impatient. I really enjoy coming home in the afternoons at 2:15, might I add, and doing nothing. Planning for the next day's lessons, relaxing, and being by myself is what I enjoy, and really, I might have been embarassed by that years ago, but I've come to appreciate the path I've chosen to take in my life. If that means I wear teacher-like clothes and go to bed by 9 o'clock, there's really nothing wrong with that. If it means I don't hang out with my friends as much, it's okay, for if they are truly my friends, they will understand that my priority is my education right now. If it means I don't talk on the phone, I don't go out as often, and I drastically hate going to parties I once would have DIED to go to, they all just mean that I'm ready to MOVE ON, GROW UP, and GET OVER IT. It's really funny what being around second graders all day does to your life. It's become more simplistic, less stressful, and purely full of contentment.

So really, what I'm trying to say is that I'm extremely happy with my life right now. I've come to the realization that I DO NOT NEED a boyfriend or even want one at this point; school is the most important thing in my life; it's okay NOT to be the center of attention; sometimes life is less complicated if you'll listen rather than talk; and God knows best even when I don't agree with Him. I'm sorry I've not been updating, but seriously, I am just really enjoying being with me, and I know how crazy that sounds, but when you've spent all of your life trying to get the attention of others and being someone you're not just to make more friends, it's awesome just to sit down and be completely appreciative of myself. Try it. I'll write as soon as I can, but if I don't, just know that I am here, enjoying this whirlwind I call life.

A small boy knocked on the classroom door as we were reading about Martin Luther King, Jr. Mrs. Moran turns and says, "May I help you?" The little boy smiles, "Mrs. McDaniel (another second grade teacher) wants to know if she can borrow one of your MLK books to read to us." Mrs. Moran hands the boy an extra one of her books, and he then exits the room. Joseph, a boy in my class, thought about the situation with Mrs. McDaniel borrowing Mrs. Moran's things and exclaims, "She NEVER has her materials!"

No comments: