Sunday, January 15, 2006

Daily Life Lessons

I think that at some time in our lives we have all been in a place in which you forget how truly blessed we are. I know I have reached that point and been proven wrong one too many times lately. Though I am not complaining about the being shown those particular blessings, I am just truly ashamed of myself that I have gotten so overwhelmed and busy with life that I have stopped remembering how good God is to me. Here are some of the ways He's proven His love in my life recently:
  • It comes out of my mouth quite often... "I don't have any friends," or "Who would call me?" I don't know why I say these things, but it's natural when life has changed, and you're forced into becoming an adult. Friendships change... A LOT. We don't see each other anymore or near as often as we say we will, and the friends I tried so hard to make are no longer the people that seem to matter as much. Then upon thinking of this, I go out with my friend, Mardi, last night, and God proves to me that He is working even when I've given up on friendship. Sure, I have my group of three that are always there for me, and the Bowling Green and Florida guys and girls I miss so much. Something was different with Mardi. She truly has been there for me lately, even when I am stressed to the max, she knows what I need to hear and what I don't want to... I cannot tell you how great it is for God to show you who is important in your life, and I'd be crazy not to mention Mardi first. She's become the truest friend I've ever needed.
  • I always wondered if teaching was right for me, and now that I've been thrown into this wild thing they call "Student Teaching" I know that this is what God has in store. Each day brings about a new situation, a hilarious comment from a student or two, and blessings I never knew existed. I cannot tell you how great I feel when I stand in front of these kids... I know that nerves sometimes get the best of me, but I see these kids and I'm a better person, one with confidence and grace and the skill to teach anything. Don't get me wrong, teaching is hard stuff, but God lets me know each day that this is what I am supposed to be doing, and I am so grateful to work with these children. I am so thrilled to be their teacher.
  • I complain all the time about my family, how they drive me nuts, how crazy they are, and how I wish I could just get away from them. I did that when I went to Western, and funny how I -can't help but want to see them all of the time now. I spent tonight with my 17-year-old cousin, Zach, my 14-year-old cousin, Anna Laura, and my aunt Cathy and uncle Ricky, at Zach's Midstate Performance at MTSU. My mom and I drove down there to see him perform as FIRST CHAIR in mallets, which in itself is incredible, and spend an awesome time with family. As I was getting ready today, I thought about not going. I know now that God sent me there to see my family and remind me of how thankful I should be. Sure, they're loud and annoying at times (who isn't because I know that I am), but they are the best people in my life. I love them dearly, and I could not be any more blessed than I am to have them in my life. Seeing their smiles and hearing their laughter tonight really made me see "family" in a different light. I was completely in awe of how God has worked in my life.

I know I haven't updated as usual as I usually do, but bear with me; I'll get in the swing of being a teacher and waking up at the crack of dawn and going to bed by 9:00. Hopefully, my life will become more routine in the upcoming days and weeks, and you all will still be around to listen to my revelations and serious talks of randomness. Tonight, though, I am just feeling totally blessed.

OH, and as I was telling a good friend about some of my funny encounters with the kids at school, she mentioned I should write them all down... SO that's what I plan to do now. Each time I hear a funny comment or am put in a hilarious situation with my students, I'll write them down. I'd hate for you all to miss out on all I am experiencing.


So this little boy, Joseph, had invented a new game that involves making up Ninja powers and using them on each other. One day at recess this week, I noticed all of the boys talking about their powers. The classroom teacher instructed the boys to either play nicely or find something else to play. Turns out the boys decided "Chase and Tag" was better than the newfound game. On the way in from the playground, I overheard Joseph discussing his take on his game to the other boys... "Man, I have more super powers than all of yall together. I have all the powers yall don't have. I can do whatever I want, and I can tell you that I'm the best ninja ever."


More to come later...

No comments: