Sunday, January 1, 2006

Forgetting to Breathe...

Being sick isn't exactly how I planned on spending my last college break. I've waited 4 and a half years to be at this point while at Western Kentucky University, and now that I'm actually here, I've spent most of the time trying to remember to continually breathe through my mouth. I can handle sore throat and cough; don't get me wrong as both are extremely difficult when you LOVE music the way I do. I haven't sang a song in about 4 days; this is traumatizing at its greatest. Anyways, as I was saying, I don't mind the throat and cough tearing me to shreds, but now that the stopped-up nose has taken its place, I'm way past frustrated and tired of being sick and tired. Wow, that was a lot of complaining in one paragraph. I'll move on.

The New Year was great; I honestly think this is the first one I've thoroughly enjoyed. My mom and I sat in the living room; I didn't much feel like going to hang with the same people I did last year though I would have loved to had the fever not been as persistant as it was. Last year's New Year's was probably one of the best days of my life. Chubby Bunnies, rope swings, and prayer was how we spent the night, which of course is a huge difference from what I used to be doing on the holiday. I just thank God I have changed and have no desire to be the person I was.

Resolutions are always the talk around this time of year, and honestly, I've never once made one. Seems to me that if you want to make changes in your life that you can easily start those on March, June, or November first. However, as pessimistic as I am about this "resolution" thing, I've decided that there are some things I'd like to change in my life. Here's the list:

  • Read the Bible at least two days a week, and Sundays DO NOT count.
  • Workout more frequently, not to become buff, but to become HEALTHY. There's a concept!
  • Open my mind to the friends I have and the ones I have not made yet.
  • Become more aware of the world, as well as local events. This means reading, watching the news, checking online. See how changes in economics and politics may effect me.
  • Expand my musical horizons. Experience new types of music, learn to play guitar, and go to as many concerts as possible.
  • Graduate this year. Get a teaching job. Pass the PRAXIS. Be a better teacher... Always. Dare to learn more.
  • Spend more time with those I love... Stop taking forgranted of the things and people I think will always be there.
  • Pray continually. Find a church home... Begin enjoying church again.
  • Let those I love know so. Make phone calls, send cards, or write emails often.
  • Find God's purpose in my life in the areas I doubt so often... Work on patience, discontinue my habitual ways of complaining constantly, my language, my heart... all of the areas that will make me a better, more Christ-like, me.

May the Lord bless you in this New Year of 2006.

No comments: