Monday, August 29, 2011

Daniel-isms

Okay, life with a two-year-old is tough at times...  You know with the temper tantrums and potty training and the rough hits and determination of an ox?!  Well, maybe that's just our two-year-old, and he is teaching us all about the "terrible twos."  However, there are times when this kid literally makes us laugh so hard and love so much that we forget how awful the moments before actually were. 

Case(s) and point(s):

  • While riding in his car seat on the way home from church, Daniel kept dropping his sippy cup onto the floor.  We'd bend back, pick it up, and give it to him for him to repeat the process.  He was thoroughly amused; we weren't as much.  In between tosses, he really was thirsty and was gulping down fruit punch.  So, it came as no surprise when I heard the first hiccup...  and another...  then the next...  and on and on until Daniel became quite frustrated with them.  He clearly stated, "Mommy, I chokin'."  I said, "No, you're not, honey; you've got hiccups."  To which he replied, "Mommy, I chokin'."  As the hiccups got stronger, his patience was thinning, and he was very upset and yelled, "Mommy, no hiccup.  I CHOKIN'!"
  • Daniel's story-telling skills are really picking up as of lately.  Why, just Tuesday while the boys were at Mother's Day Out, and Samuel took a pretty rough fall.  How do I know this?  Well, it's a whopping five days later, and upon seeing any one he knows, Daniel STILL begins with this, "Uh, Samuel fall down on the ground at school, and....."  I promise, he has told that same "story" over a hundred times in five days, and it seems brand new to him every single time.  And for the record, Samuel didn't cry when he fell at school; in fact, he doesn't even have a scratch!
  • Daniel has become quite the boss around here.  Or at least he believes he has.  We hear these a lot:  "Be quiet, Mommy."  "Daddy, stop it."  "Watch Thomas, Mommy."  "Samuel, be quiet.  Stop it.  Shhhh." 
  • Daniel speaks in first person right now.  It is hard to take him seriously when he talks as if he's someone else because it is SO hilarious.  Last night as we ate dinner at Chick fil A, the "carnival" was in town right beside the parking lot.  Daniel was very intrigued by the ferris wheel and its amazing lights.  He watched from the restaurant doors, saying, "Daniel ride that.  Daniel sit on it.  Daniel go to it.  Daniel want to ride it now." 
  • Daniel is beginning to potty train.  While we haven't yet forced it, he has just started showing interest and going on his own...  in the potty...  without help from any one.  Anyway, we've tried to get Daniel excited about the process with "big boy" underwear and Pull-ups, but let's face it, they equal big messes that make HIM laugh so we've opted for the cheap brand of diapers for him until we move on...  Let's just say, they do not work. Just Tuesday night as we were out shoppng as a family, Daniel rode on my back in the Beco, and discovering some awesome clearance buys in the kids' section, I suddenly felt moisture running down my back.  He had peed right through those Pull-ups!  As I took Daniel to clean up the mess, I kept asking him, "Where does pee go?  Why is Mommy wet?"  He answered, "In the potty.  Not Mommy."  Here I was in a public place with my child's pee ALL DOWN MY BACK and PANTS.  Worse part, I didn't have any extra clothes for Daniel OR myself, so with a pantless Daniel strapped again onto my wet back, he and I finished shopping and headed to the checkout! 
  • HOWEVER, this was not our only encounter with pee this week.  Tonight at church during singing practice, Daniel sat cheerfully on Daddy's lap while we sang.  It wasn't very long into the service when Brian looked over at me with the deer in headlights look...  He mouthed, "He's peeing on me!"  I thought he was kidding, that is, until I noticed Brian's suit's pant leg was soaking wet.  It looked as though it was BRIAN who'd had the accident.  He sat there with that look on his face for what seemed like hours, as he tried to figure out what to do next.  Daniel hadn't moved.  He was just fine now that he'd released that burden.  :)  I too hadn't moved.  I was laughing so hard I didn't think to move or help.  When I came around to noticing Brian needed my help, I picked up Daniel and headed to the nursery.  Every step of the way, Daniel reminded me, "I pee on Daddy."  Brian thankfully had an extra set of clothes in the car (which, by the way, was a t-shirt, khaki shorts, and Crocs) but when we got to the car, Daniel made certain we hadn't forgotten what had happened in church, laughing and saying, "Daddy, I pee-pee. I pee on Daddy."

1 comment:

This Is Stupid said...

I have a newly-turned 2 year old, and no it is not just yours =) Sometimes she is hilarious. Other times i look at her and think "I have no ideas whose child you are!!"