Saturday, May 13, 2006

Life Has Been Patiently Waiting For Me

As I sat in my sister's chair today while she cut and styled my hair, a familiar song played. One I heard years ago when driving away from Greenbrier to Western Kentucky University for the first time. One that brought me to utter tears almost five years ago. One that really moved me in a completely different way today.


I'm moving on,
At last I can see that life has been patiently waiting for me,
and I know there's no guarantees but I'm not alone.
There comes a time in everyone's life
when all you can see are the years passing by.
And I have made up my mind that those days are gone.
I'm moving on.


I've walked in and out of the same buildings, sat in the same desks, and seen the same faces for five years. I've made the same mistakes time and time again. I once was a child driving into a world of unknowns. Now, I am the person I always hoped I would become, and I've chosen the career God has intended for me. I will walk across that stage tomorrow a better person than when I walked in. I could blame Western for all the mistakes I made: the parties I went to, the shots I put down, the things I don't remember. What I have realized was that each of those situations made me who I am. I am thankful for each time I messed up and made a fool of myself because I've learned that I am not as perfect as I thought I was... But I've seen who I can be and who God has made me, and I know that each day is a step in His direction whether I make mistakes or not.

I am humbled by the outpouring of God's love as shown by my family and friends. When I drove into Bowling Green with my car packed to the ceiling and crying with all I had, I felt like I was losing everyone that meant everything to me. It was hard stepping into a scene of unfamiliar faces. It didn't take long for God to show me who was important. Soon I had some of the best friends I'd ever had in my life, and these are the friends that I still have today. God has given me who I need when I needed them. My family has been there for me throughout it all, and no matter what, they are the people that put the drive in me to be better and do more.

College has been an experience I cannot express in words. From humility to pride, from humiliation to triumph, from boys to the best girls in the world, from dorms to apartments to houses to flooding apartments to burning the kitchen stove, from parties to more of them to many I still don't remember, from boogie barning to glasses and dress-up, from Spice Girl videos to "Peas in a Pod" to Gravy and Biscuit, from doughnuts to smokes, from Cracker Barrel hostessing, serving, and training to eating at Denny's at 4 in the morning, from TV nights to Birthdays to Corn fields and somewhat being forced to get over my fear of bridges, from karaoke to REO Speedwagon, 80s, Michael Jackson, and Bowling to Skynard, Hank, The Drinking Team, Mario Brothers on Nintendo, Figaros, Being Pulled Over, late night Walmart trips and car destroying, from Mimi to Lucy, from Ali Mac to J-Na, from Ghost to old friends and rebuilding bridges to Lo and B for dance moves, venom, quotes, and truth...

My college life has been amazing. I have been so blessed. Life has been waiting, though, and it's time to move on. I have a world full of little minds waiting on me to fill their heads with new knowledge. I'm so excited to see what God has in store.

No comments: