Wednesday, May 17, 2006

I Thought They Hit You When You're Down...

Why is it that when things are going beautifully in your life that the smallest thing can throw your whole world upside down? Why is it that I can pretend that things don't bother me when I know as well as my closest friends that there are just some things that are tearing me apart inside? Why do people always look for things they don't have? What is it about the unknown that people are intrigued by? Why do we always want what other people have got? What is exciting about being insanely rude and mean? How can there be so much hate and inconsistency in the world? Does God really hand situations to you that He knows might challenge you? Does He do so to see if you're really willing to make the necessary sacrifices to be His child? Why do bad things happen to God's children? Why is being a Christian so hard sometimes? Why do people always seem to get away with the things they do that are wrong? Why can't people actually DO their jobs? What good is a police officer if he doesn't write a report? What is the point in exercise if it just makes me tired? Why do I have to have migraines all the time? Why does graduation have to be so exciting and scary at the same time? Why do thank you cards have to be so difficult to write? Why does my hair have to be so frizzy? Why does it have to be so cold in May? Why does finding a job in the teaching profession have to be so uncertain? What happened to getting hit when you're down?

I had never been happier, and I probably have never been. My life is where it should be finally after years of pulling myself down the wrong roads and making the wrong choices. It's funny how the smallest situations can almost break that happiness... The devil tries to bring you down in any way he can, and honestly, I've almost let him. I'm tired of being messed with. I'm sick of being on this roller coaster ride of life. I want some sort of consistency that I haven't had yet. I know there's no such thing, but I want just ONE week of it. I graduated on Saturday, and last night, I did the background vocals with a great friend of mine on a Gospel artist's upcoming Christmas album... There are two blessings in one sentence. Upon returning to my car, it's like Satan just knew how blessed I was and I saw the glass everywhere. It's funny what runs through your mind when you're not sure what's happened... I was safe; nothing had been taken. I just felt violated. I didn't feel secure anymore.

God has been good to me, and I just needed to share this for some reason. I know it's usually that when it rains, it pours. Sometimes, the devil gets you when he knows you're most vulnerable, and that's often when you're happiest and closest to God because you wonder, as I have, "How can bad things happen to God's people?" It's not about that, though. It's about handling situations God sends your way and making Him proud that He is your Father. Yes, my smile might have left me for a while last night, but today, it's back, and I'm thankful that God was looking after me and mine.

No comments: