Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Pat on the Back

Do you ever have times when you just need a pat on the back?  You just need to hear that you are doing a good job and are appreciated for the work you do.  In today's society, it is often difficult to get that positive reinforcement we need as people.  In our humble, human nature, we need to know that the tasks and jobs we have and complete are being recognized by someone who is in a higher position than we are, and when we do not receive the praise we deem is necessary, we sometimes feel as though we are looked at as disappointments.

I have felt that way many times as a stay-at-home parent.  People hear that I have a college degree and actually quit my teaching job on my own will, and immediately I am judged as a "quitter" or someone who has failed in society.  Even still, I knew it was God's will for me to leave that career and begin this new one as a wife and a parent.  It hasn't been easy.  There are days that I long to be among desks and bulletin boards.  I even imagine what craft we might be creating if I still was a teacher to twenty Kindergarteners.

However, it has been brought to my attention lately that I am doing exactly as God had planned.  It wasn't my husband who commended my work in our home.  My dad, who funded my college aspirations, has never once admitted how he feels about my current role in the home and not in the classroom.  It wasn't a young mother or a woman who has been in my position, but it was a 22-month-old, little boy....

As he woke in the middle of night crying for Daddy, it was Mommy who went to sit at Daniel's bedside.  While I knew I would much rather be sleeping and getting the rest I needed for the next exhausting day, sweet Daniel placed his arm around my neck and bent over to "Muah" my head.  I started to stand, seeing he was finally soothed, and he quickly pulled me in closer to him.  Despite my discomfort, kneeling over his blue toddler bed, this precious child proceeded to pat me on my back until he fell asleep. 

There are times in life when all we need is to know is that we are noticed while doing our best.  Be it from a manager, boss, or friend, that recognition does amazing things to a person's heart.  The encouragement we receive often pushes us to work harder and continue on.  Sometimes, it comes from the tiniest of voices - sometimes in the night, others during our work - but it always comes to a heart that's in need.  My "pat on the back" came from my little boy, but I am certain that God had a hand in Daniel's while he was rubbing my shoulder.  God knows all about what we need, and believe me, He is there despite the quiet, empty, and tired places we find ourselves in.  Let Him speak to you and encourage your heart.  He's always ready...

1 comment:

Erin said...

I love wild little sweet Daniel.